- Students will blend, read and spell three sound short vowel words.
- Students will learn or review by memory: a, and, the. These are called "Trick Words."
- Students will learn capitalization, punctuation, and word spacing for sentence dictation.
- Students will learn that a digraph is two consonants together that make one sound.
sh - ship /sh/ ch – chin /ch/ ck – sock /k/
wh –whiste /wh/ th – thumb /th/
- Students will review qu queen /kw/
- New trick words: to, a, was, for , he, is, as, his, has
- Students will learn the bonus letter rule: When a one syllable word ends in an f, l, or s, a second f, l, or s is added when spelling the word.
- Students will learn the sound of all as in ball, tall and wall. When there is a bonus letter after the letter a, the sound of a changes.
- New trick words: you, we, I, they, one, said
- Students will learn the glued sounds am- ham- /am/ and an- fan- /an/
New trick words: from, or, have
- Students will learn how to add suffix –s to a baseword. For example, cat is the the baseword in cats.
- New trick words: were, her, put, there, what, she, been, by, who
- Students will learn the following glued sounds:
ang - fang - /ang/ ing – ring - /ing/
- New trick words: out, so, are, two, about, into, only, other, new
- Blends: A blend is two consonants together that each make a sound, as in the word "s t op". A blend can be at the beginning or end of a word.
- New trick words: sock, could, want, say, do, first, any, my, now